(918) 825-4558 Local Calls
(888) 848-4558 Toll Free

Contact Us Main Menu
Areas of Practice

Automobile Accidents

Whenever a person is involved in a car accident, they may think that they can handle the insurance claim by themselves.  They are usually contacted by an insurance adjuster who is extremely friendly and eager to settle the car wreck matter as quickly as possible.  Sometimes people handle their own automobile accident claim and settle the personal injury and property damage claim only to find out that they need additional medical treatment or that their injury did not resolve itself as anticipated, or that they did not know or forgot about certain losses or expenses.  After the car wreck claim is settled, it is too late to ask an insurance adjuster for additional money for your Automobile Accident and Personal Injury claim.  When you sign you are done.

Car accident attorneys assist people in recovering all possible damages and reimbursements to which they may be entitled.  Many times, people do overlook lost wages, mileage or the complete set of future medical bills when settling their case.  In automobile accidents, the first step to recovery is establishing liability.  Many times, the insurance company will accept complete liability.  There are other times where insurance companies will only accept a portion of liability related to the car wreck and even other times where they deny liability automobile accident.  The general rule in Oklahoma is that if you are more than 50% at fault for an accident, then you will be barred from recovering anything from the other party.  Once liability is established, the discussion on damages begins.

Many people are familiar with the standard damages designated as "medical bills" and "pain and suffering."  However, when resolving their own Car Accident claim, they fail to recover for all their damages and reimbursements.  When using an attorney, a person ensures that they receive all possible damages and reimbursement for their claim.  They can also be sure to recover from all possible sources to obtain the most for their damages.

The following are some common sources of recovery:

  1. Uninsured Motorist and Underinsured Motorist Protection:  Whenever it appears that the person causing the accident either flees from the scene, does not have any insurance or does not have enough insurance, many people do not realize that they may still have an insurance policy available.  Many peope carry Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Protection on their own automobile policy.  This will provide an avenue to recover when the person causing the car wreck was not adequately insured.

  2. Medical Payments Coverage:  Another avenue of recovery that people may carry coverage for is through Medical payments coverage.  This is a coverage that people will carry on their own vehicle that will provide payment for medical bills regardless of who is at fault for the accident.

The following are some common issues that arise in insurance claims:

  1. Unpaid Medical Bills While The Claim Is Pending:  Many times, people receive bills from the medical providers while the claim is pending.  This can be unnerving, especially when the bills are turned over to collections.  An attorney can be of great assistance in avoiding collection involving Medical Professionals treating the injured person while the claim is pending.

  2. Bad Faith:  Sometimes people are involved in car accidents and look to recover from their own insurance company.  In instances such as this, a higher duty is imposed upon the insurance company than when dealing with the liability insurer.  When a person makes a claim on their own insurance, the insurance company must act in good faith or they may incur liability to their insured.  To determine whether your insurance company is operating in good faith, it is crucial to contact an attorney, as each case is extremely fact specific.


At the Ritchie Law Firm in Pryor, OK we represent clients throughout Oklahoma, including Pryor, Claremore, Wagoner, Vinita, Jay, Muskogee, Tulsa, Nowata, and Sapulpa. 
Through the following counties: Mayes County, Rogers County, Tulsa County, Craig County, Wagoner County,
Muskogee County, Nowata County, Delaware County, Osage County, and Creek County.